Tuesday, December 15, 2015

Audio Book Review: The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters

The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters book cover and review
The Paying Guests isn't my favorite of Sarah Waters' books but once it gets going, you won't be able to determine what is going to happen (or even what you hope happens!)

Our setting is 1922 London. Frances has lost her two brothers in the war. Her father died soon after. She and her mother have been unable to keep the house up and make ends meet, so they've reconfigured the upstairs so they can take on boarders.

Mr. and Mrs. Barber move in and little do they know how their lives will change. Really, I don't want to say too much about what happens. There is a romance, a murder, a suspenseful investigation, and a trial. And the reader really doesn't know the outcome until the very last pages. Sorry - that's all you're going to get from me.

Sarah Waters is wordy. Her descriptions go on and on. But the atmosphere she creates is palpable. I'm not sure I would have the patience to read this book, but the audio experience is perfect. I've listened to several of her books and I believe it's the best way to experience them.

If you are at all interested in historical drama, I highly suggest you try Sarah Waters. The Paying Guests is good, but I would still recommend Fingersmith as my favorite. It's probably just a personal thing, though.

Published by Riverhead Books, 2014, Hachette Audio
Audiobook obtained from the library
576 pages

Rating: 4/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2015 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...