Monday, December 7, 2015

Book Review: While Beauty Slept by Elizabeth Blackwell

While Beauty Slept by Elizabeth Blackwell book cover and review
While Beauty Slept fooled me. For much of the story I thought it was a straight-up retelling, but no. The ending surprised me.

While Beauty Slept adds a lot of interesting details, backgrounds, and motivations to the story we are all familiar with. The details of the setting are rich and interesting. The romance is sweet and heartbreaking. The Happily Ever After, while not the one I expected, is satisfying. I king of liked the reimagining of the story. It doesn't rely on magic spells, which makes me think that this is probably the real story!

I found While Beauty Slept to be a bit long and drawn out. It could have moved a bit more quickly, especially at the beginning. It took a while to get going.

But that's a minor complaint, and if you are a fan of retellings and/or Sleeping Beauty, I would definitely recommend While Beauty Slept.

Published by G. P. Putnam's Sons, 2014
eBook obtained from the library
432 pages

Rating: 3.5/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2015 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...