Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Book Review: The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde book cover and review
Well, The Picture of Dorian Gray means another classic completed.  It's short.  It's a good story. But it's written like a classic.

Everyone is mesmerized by Dorian Gray.  It starts with Basil Hallward, who paints a portrait of Dorian that he feels is his best work.  He can't even stand to put it in a show for the public to see.  He then introduces Dorain to his friend, Lord Henry Wotton, who takes Dorian under his wing and "teaches" him his hedonistic views of society.

Dorian is taken by Henry, and falls into a life of debauchery, hurting almost everyone with which he comes in contact without a care. His path through this deplorable existence is enhanced by the fact that Dorian never ages.  It seems his age, as well as his sins, are only depicted in his portrait, which he keeps hidden.

It's a strange and entertaining story and gives an insightful look at life in late nineteenth century England. And, even though its a relatively short book, it is still filled with overly descriptive passages indicative of almost every classic I've read.

I'm glad I read The Picture of Dorian Gray. Once again, my Serial Reader app made it bearable.

Originally published in 1890 in Lippincott's Monthly Magazine
eBook obtained from Serial Reader
176 pages

Rating: 3.5/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2017 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

1 comment:

  1. Classics have never appealed to me and I don't know why. I think it's why I didn't read much in high school; all the assigned reading was classics and I just couldn't do it. Who knew I would move on to love reading so much!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...