Monday, October 9, 2017

Book Review: Dare Mighty Things by Heather Kaczynski @HKaczynski

Dare Mighty Things by Heather Kaczynski book cover and review
Dare Mighty Things kept me on the edge of my seat towards the end, but it ended too soon!  I'm ready for the sequel...

In the future, it's possible to design your offspring to be smart, among other things.  Cassie is one of these kids.  Her parents are scientists, and she's managed to get an internship at NASA. She's always dreamed of going into space.  Well, she gets selected for a secret mission and must compete with other teens to win.  But what's the mission?  No one will say.

Cassie is determined and relentless.  She will give up family and friends (well, she doesn't have any of those) to reach her goals.  The other teens she meets while going through this training do become her friends though, even if they are her competition.

Cassie is the most fleshed out character.  We get to know the side characters as Cassie does, from arm's length. As readers, since Cassie is our main character, you can predict she will eventually win out.  But the journey to success is fraught with challenges and danger and is also enlightening.

I recently read Nyxia, and the comparisons are inevitable. Dare Mighty Things has been compared to The 5th Wave and The Selection.  Nyxia has been compared to Ender's Game. I think Dare Mighty Things is more like Ender's Game than either of the two other books.  Both Nyxia and Dare Mighty Thing were exciting and held my interest.  I'll be happy to recommend them both.

Dare Mighty Things ends with a huge twist and a (hated) cliffhanger.  I'm looking forward to Cassie's further adventures.  I think my space travel fans will enjoy this one.

Published by HarperTeen, October 10, 2017
eARC obtained from Edelweiss
384 pages

Rating: 4/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2017 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

1 comment:

  1. A cliff hanger! So frustrating to have to wait for book #2 to come out to find out what happens. This sounds like a fun book.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...