Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Book Review: The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie

The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie book cover and review
The Mysterious Affair at Styles is Christie's first published novel.

It's an intriguing murder mystery with the usual red herrings.  Everyone is hiding something, so everyone seems guilty.  Poirot is quiet about his thoughts through most of the investigation, much to the chagrin of his sidekick, Hastings, who is certain Poirot is aged and losing his faculties. This only adds to the entertainment.

I did have to write down the character names at first.  They are introduced quickly and writing their relationships helped me keep them all straight.

While each of her mysteries follows a predictable pattern, they are unpredictable. If you enjoy murder mysteries, Christie will not disappoint.  They are classics for a reason. 

Her books are short and once the murder happens, they captivate the reader.

Published by John Lane, 1920
eBook obtained from Serial Reader
296 pages

Rating: 4.5/5





Back to Annette's Book Spot Homepage Copyright © 2017 Annette's Book Spot. All Rights Reserved

2 comments:

  1. I haven't read an Agatha Christie mystery in decades and just saw a trailer for Murder on the Orient Express, one that I loved when I was young. Perhaps I'll have to dig out a Christie novel over Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I checked this one out from the library but didn't get a chance to read it before it came due. Sounds like I missed out! I did enjoy MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS, though, which I read for the first time a few weeks ago.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting! I LOVE comments!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...